Tuesday 10 November 2009

Fur - The Imaginary Bio of Diane Arbus



Last night I watched Fur The Imaginary Bio of Diane Arbus. In the trailers I was drawn to the deep visual colours and imagery. What I did enjoy about the movie was the scenes I loved the fact that the characters costumes seemed to blended into the scenery environment, almost pointing out the blandness of their imagination and the safeness of their lives. It would of been better if Nicole Kidman wasn't in it, she again does her annoy breathless voice, that she does in every film, and the rigid demeanour, was at first suited to the role but as the film progressed and she revealed more about the inner workings of her mind, at not one point in the film did I actual believe that this was a woman who was discovering a new view of life, freeing herself from her glass chrysalis. Sure see spoke dirtier, but I guess I was looking for something more obvious, you know a glow about the character a spring in her step, a change to the wardrobe, the things that women do when they feel happier.
In the end I switched off and decided to see Arbus work for myself, the background behind those images alone would of made a better film. I understand little about Diane Arbus, through the film, but through her work, I see a woman who wanted to be something more, something different, something exciting!



"There’s a quality of legend about freaks. Like a person in a fairy tale who stops you and demands that you answer a riddle. Most people go through life dreading they’ll have a traumatic experience. Freaks were born with their trauma. They’ve already passed their test in life. They’re aristocrats."
quote by Diane Arbus

No comments:

Post a Comment