Thursday 14 January 2010

My favourite Author

When I was younger their wasn't really anyone I aspired to, I wanted to be a writer and would daily practice my craft. At School I finally found my favourite author her name Margaret Atwood. The first book I read of hers was The Handmaidens Tale, it opened my world, for those have never read it, imagine a world were war has spread across the world and America is dealing with the aftermath. The rich men control everything and women are now treated as second class citizens and are either slaves or child bearers. The reason why Margaret Atwood is my favourite author is the way she explores women's issues, our role in society and also theirs a little nostalgia look to the 60s-70s, we wanted freedom but at what cost! We lost the stability of marriage, we have to have careers and compete with men, we also have to be housewife's, and be mainly responsible for looking after the children, while the men get to leave when the going gets tough.
If our men leave us it our fault because we weren't pretty enough, interested enough. She doesn't try to give answers in the book, she always leaves you wanting more, how did it end? The most common thing about female protagonist, in her books as they are always looking to discover who they are and not what society tells them they should be, and sometimes their isn't really an answer, sometimes we just merely drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment